I’m going way off-topic on this one. My friend Janette tagged me on what issues are most important to me in the 2010 Presidential elections. Constantly watching the coverage of the US Presidential nominations has certainly opened my eyes to what types of things people look for in a President. Unfortunately, the same can’t be said about the Philippines. Here, whoever has the biggest dole-outs (aka bribes) or have the most appearances in movies have the highest chances of winning the presidency. Hello Garci, have we not had enough already?
My main issues are:
1. Will the 2010 elections be the same circus that it was 6 years ago?
2. Will we finally have a poll automation system in place to hasten the counting process thus lessen cheating and ballot tampering?
3. Will the clueless masses begin to smart up and choose the candidate based on their merits and not on their jingles or song-and-dance numbers?
4. Will the next President stand solidly on his beliefs and morals and not be another puppet of the Catholic Church?
5. Moreover, will the next administration continue to be a puppet of the US government?
These are the issues that I want our candidates to debate about. Would be fun to watch, but I doubt they ever will. But hey, if we ever do get that poll automation ready and working, that’s enough to make me a happy camper.